Thursday, August 11, 2011

NFC Profile

In my last post I wrote about the NFC capabilities in Android development. As I had so much fun tinkering with NFC and writing that short tutorial I decided to publish my first NFC app in the Android Market.
The app is called NFC Profile and it lets you enable/disable some of your system settings with a simple touch of a NFC tag.

As I was unnerved by disabling my WiFi and setting my ringer to silent each night only to do the exact opposite again in the morning I decided that this made a perfect use case for NFC. The app lets you configure what to turn on/off according to the time of day. Lets you set an Alarm for the next day when toggled into night mode and it even lets you write your profile trigger to a rewritable tag. All in one app. I developed that app solely for fun and learning purposes and I made an open source project out of it. It is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) License so respect that if you want to use any code.

The code shows how to customize a PreferenceScreen and its PreferenceItems. How to call Activities from a Preference. You can see how to register your Activities for NFC Tag detection and how to write data to a NFC rewritable tag.

You can find the project source at github: https://github.com/MarioBoehmer/NFCProfile
The Android Market link for the app is: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.blogspot.marioboehmer.nfcprofile


No comments:

Post a Comment